Skip to main content

Certificates and Pathways

NC State offers a wide array of industry leading certificate programs to help individuals increase their knowledge and skills, plan for future career opportunities, or in preparation for graduate studies.

All of NC State's undergraduate and graduate level certificate programs are approved for GI Bill® funding and Tuition Assistance.

Students looking to enroll in a certificate program or complete coursework outside of being degree-seeking students will need to complete a non-degree studies application.

Certificate Programs

Our undergraduate and graduate certificate programs help you stay ahead of the curve or take the next step in your career.

Once completing a non-degree studies application, students wishing to apply to a certificate program will do so by visiting the information page for the certificate of their choice.

GI Bill® benefits are approved for all undergraduate and graduate certificate programs found on either of the sites below.

Community College Collaboration (C3) and Military Connect

For military-connected students who do not meet minimum transfer credit requirements, or who are beginning their higher education career, the C3 program may be the perfect fit for you!

C3  seeks students who demonstrate potential for academic success through previous high school or community college performance and exhibit a high level of motivation and perseverance in the face of challenges (as may be evidenced by their ability to overcome obstacles; manage family, work, and/or military responsibilities; and/or showcase their entrepreneurial spirit).

NC State values your success as a student, and C3 pairs your path to an NC State degree with academic and social support to enhance your experience.

C3 seeks students who demonstrate potential for academic success through previous high school or community college performance and exhibit a high-level C3 is open to students immediately after completing high school or for community college students who have completed less than 30 credit hours of college work. C3 students will be assigned an NC State advisor upon admission to the program. The advisor will help students identify majors that are aligned with their interests and academic abilities, map a comprehensive course plan, and ensure that courses taken at the community college will transfer to the student’s intended major. Students will also receive financial aid advising to maximize aid eligibility, GI Bill benefits, and minimize student debt.

C3 is open to students considering any major that NC State offers. Military veterans, first-generation students, and students from rural communities are encouraged to apply.

Non-Degree Studies

The Non-Degree Studies (NDS) program is administered by the Department of Registration and Records and provides individuals who have not matriculated into a degree or certificate program access to credit courses at NC State University as a visiting student on a part-time basis.

Professional in a counseling session
The court of North Carolina looking up at the 1911 building on main campus. Photo by Marc Hall

Non-Degree Studies (NDS) Students

Non-Degree Studies may be for you if you:

  • An undergraduate certificate or licensure student;
  • Someone considering an NC State degree program, but not yet ready to apply;
  • A visiting student from another institution, taking NC State courses to meet degree requirements at your home school;
  • A post-baccalaureate student taking prerequisites for a graduate program;
  • A high school Academic Enrichment Opportunities (AEO) student;
  • An adult brushing up academically for professional or personal reasons; then Non-Degree Studies is your classification!

There are two NDS categories: Undergraduate Studies (UGS) is for those who have not earned a bachelor’s degree while Post-Baccalaureate Studies (PBS) is for those who have.

If you are participating in an undergraduate certificate or licensure program, your classification is NDS, but you will be enrolled in an academic plan that indicates the certificate or licensure you are pursuing.

Who is eligible for Non-Degree Studies?

To be eligible to apply for NDS, prospective students must:

  • have graduated from high school at least one year before beginning enrollment. Note: Currently enrolled highschool students may be eligible for the Academic Enrichment Opportunity program.
  • be eligible to return to any previous institution(s) attended.
  • maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 at all times to remain eligible to continue.
  • have accumulated less than 30 hours of total credit as a NDS student. NDS students are limited to a total of 30 hours of credit in NDS status. Students with 29 hours attempted will be allowed to register for the next term even if their enrollment in that future term will exceed the 30-hour limit, but they will not be activated for subsequent terms once they have accumulated or exceeded 30 hours of credit. For more details, please see the NDS enrollment rule.

Residency Determination

Effective February 20, 2017, The University of North Carolina System will manage and process all residency determinations. All NDS students requesting in-state residency consideration for tuition purposes are required to complete the North Carolina Residency Determination Service (RDS) form prior to completing the NDS application.