Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (MGIB-AD / Chapter 30)
Step 1. Apply for your benefits by visiting va.gov:
- Complete and submit your application.
- Submitted applications cannot be viewed or printed. However, you will be able to view and print your submission Confirmation Page. A copy of this page should be kept in case confirmation of application submittal is needed by the School Certifying Official.
Step 2. Register for classes at NC State as soon as your enrollment appointment opens. To see when your enrollment appointment opens, log into the MyPack Portal.
Step 3. Access the MyPack Portal – VA “Certification Request” after you have completed class enrollment. You can access the Certification Request by following the steps below in MyPack Portal:
- MyPack Portal: Student Homepage > Personal Information tile > Veterans Information > Request Benefits Certification
Step 4. Upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (VA will email or mail this once Step 1 is complete) or supporting documentation listing your benefit eligibility via MyPack Portal (Certification Request).
- When uploading your COE or supporting documentation:
- Select the “COE” bubble
- Enter a file description
- Select the “upload” button and locate the file on your device
- Select the ‘return” button
NOTE: Any schedule change made after the term’s census date resulting in reduced credit hours may result in a VA or school debt.
Upon completion of VA Enrollment Certification processing, the School Certifying Official notifies the NC State Cashier’s Office that you are a Chapter 30, VA Benefits student. If required, the Cashier’s Office offers a GI Bill® Student Payment Plan, a four-month plan that coincides with the VA release of student monthly stipends.
Important Notes for Chapter 30 Students
- For monthly stipend payments to be processed, Chapter 30 students must provide a Verification of Enrollment on the first of each month. To verify enrollment, log into WAVE (Web Automated Verification of Enrollment). Instead of using the website, you may choose to call VA at (888) 442-4551.
- Your monthly stipend payment will be wire transferred on the 1st of the month for the previous month. Payments are only processed for days in the month when you are enrolled in class.
- VA Education Benefits pay for the classes in which you are enrolled. Enrollment changes following VA Enrollment Certification for the term (e.g. Withdraw, Grade Exclusion, and “U” Grade in an S/U Course) may result in VA debt. If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with NC State Veterans Education Benefits.