Skip to main content

Transfer – Survivors’ and Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35 DEA)

If you have already used the GI Bill® at a previous institution, please follow the steps below.

Note: If you are a transfer student but this is your first time using the GI Bill®, please return to the main page and follow the instructions for First-time GI Bill® users.

Step 1. Complete your request for a change of program or place of training by applying for education benefits at

  • Submitted applications cannot be viewed or printed. However, you will be able to view and print your submission Confirmation Page. A copy of this page should be kept in case confirmation of application submittal is needed by the School Certifying Official.

Step 2. Register for classes at NC State as soon as your enrollment appointment opens. To see when your enrollment appointment opens, log into the MyPack Portal.

Step 3. Access the MyPack Portal – VA “Certification Request” after you have completed class enrollment. You can access the Certification Request by following the steps below in MyPack Portal:

  • MyPack Portal: Student Homepage > Personal Information tile > Veterans Information > Request Benefits Certification
  • CH 35 DEA users must enter their complete nine digit file number. Typically this is the same as the sponsor’s (veterans) social security number. To ensure you have the correct file number, please call 888.442.4551

Step 4. Upload a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (VA will email or mail an updated copy once Step 1 is complete) or supporting documentation listing your benefit eligibility via MyPack Portal (Certification Request).

Certificates of Eligibility can be accessed digitally through eBenefits

  • When uploading your COE or supporting documentation:
    • Select the “COE” bubble
    • Enter a file description
    • Select the “upload” button and locate the file on your device
    • Select the ‘return” button

NOTE: Any schedule change made after the term’s census date resulting in reduced credit hours may result in a VA or school debt.

Upon completion of VA Enrollment Certification processing, the School Certifying Official notifies the NC State Cashier’s Office that you are a Chapter 35, VA Benefits student. If required, the Cashier’s Office offers a GI Bill® Student Payment Plan, a four-month plan which coincides with the VA release of student monthly stipends.

Important Notes for Chapter 35 Students

  • Your monthly stipend payment will be wire transferred on the 1st of the month for the previous month. Payments are only processed for days in the month when the student is enrolled in class.
  • VA Education Benefits pays for the classes that you enroll in. Enrollment changes following VA Enrollment Certification for the term (e.g. Withdraw, Grade Exclusion, “U” Grade in an S/U Course) may result in VA debt. If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with NC State Veterans Education Benefits.